Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Type project

Hey guys,
I know it's been awhile since I last posted, but I have been keeping myself busy working on lots of various projects. One main project that I'm doing right now it a book of type. (I know this is an illustration blog.. but I figured I'd post what I've been doing regardless) The reason I am doing this is because a few months ago I applied for an internship at Chronicle Books in SF. Unfortunately, I was not chosen. I emailed them several times trying to figure out what I need to improve upon in order to have a better shot of being accepted the next time that I apply. Well, they finally got back to me, and their response was really encouraging. To sum it up, they said that they really like my work; I'm a strong drawer and have a good graphic design sense, but they would like to see more type in my book. That right now it looks too much like an illustrator's portfolio (no surprise there) They asked me how would I solve a design problem using only type? What would that look like?

I have been giving what they said a lot of thought. I have always known that type is the most difficult aspect of design for me, but I also know how important it is. I know that you should spend as much time with type as you would with a drawing. I have been reading about type when I can, as well as getting advice from friends who know more about the subject than I do. Chris gave me a good piece of advice, because he too has struggled with type. He said to think about it as an illustration. Draw it out like you would any other illustration. And that has been some very good advice.

I have a list of potential type projects, and the first one that I am working on is a book. (I really enjoy making books) The concept for the book is really simple, and by no means original. I am going to make type for different objects in my house (common house hold items) and then photograph them. Some of the objects I'm thinking about are the stairs, toilet, bathtub, microwave, mirror, etc..

I have begun making 3 of the words so far. I have completed "refrigerator" (although I'm not sure If I'm going to keep it the way it is) and "mantel". I am currently working on "bed" Here are some images...

This is somewhat self explanatory. I am thinking that this one might be a little too cliche'. It was the first one that I finished, which took me all of 10 mins to do. I will probably come back to this one, and do something more interesting inside of the fridge, with food or condiments or something. Also I am totally up for any suggestions.

Here is my 1st go at doing the mantel. I didn't think about taking pictures of the entire process while I was working, but I did manage to take this one. This is about 3 hours of work already. I first went to goodwill and bought a variety of cheap frames, which I then painted white. I then proceeded to Michaels (it was close by) to buy a variety of paper. I figured out what font I wanted to use, and then I traced out the letters onto construction paper, cut them out, and glued them down onto patterned paper. That was the easy part. I spent several hours re-arranging all of the little knick-knacks and the frames. So really this is more like my 5th attempt at putting the mantel together.

I then started adding more to the wall, to make the white frames stand out better. Sorry, these aren't the best photos. For the actual book I am going to borrow some lights and a good camera.

After I completed this, I decided to start working on "Bed" I decided to make the word "bed" out of fabric and fluff, thus simulating pillows. It makes sense... I found some really awesome fabric at a thrift store across the street from my work. I really like vintage looking prints and yellow, so that's the color palette I wanted to use for this one.

I am making the letters all by hand, so first I made a template to work from out of newspaper.

The "B" took Foooooorrreeeeevvvvveeeerrrrr. Okay, maybe not quite that long, but several days at least. Sewing by hand is a very tedious process. Now I have moved onto the "E" and I am almost done with it. (thank god)

Well, that's what I have so far to share with you. I'll keep posting as I progess with this project, as well as whatever else I come up with. And I am always open to suggestions and criticism, because it really does help.


Karen O


Chris said...

OMG! You're a crazy awesome person! When you told me that you were going to work on some type projects I didn't think that it was going to be this in-depth. I'm totally excited for the next set of photos. I do agree that "refrigerator" might need tweaking. Although I do like some of the thought behind the letters. Anyway awesome job and keep it up.

Karen O said...

haha, I know I'm a little off my rocker.. but it's keeping me busy at least.